BIOREGIONAL PLAN 2030For the Amazon Sacred Headwaters Learn more about the planSign the declaration
The Amazon Sacred Headwaters Initiative is building a shared vision among indigenous peoples, NGOs, the philanthropic community, social entrepreneurs and governments towards establishing a bi-national protected region – off-limits to industrial scale resource extraction, and governed in accordance with traditional indigenous principles of cooperation and harmony that foster a mutually enhancing human-Earth relationship.
The Initiative is led by Amazonian indigenous federations CONFENIAE (Ecuador), AIDESEP (Peru), ORPIO, and COICA, in partnership with Pachamama Alliance, and Fundación Pachamama.
During this early stage of the Initiative, priorities include:
- Resisting expansion of extractive industries including oil and mining and related infrastructure in the region
- Strong regional alliance of key stakeholders—indigenous peoples, governments, civil society—aligned around a shared vision for the protection of the Sacred Headwaters region
- Completing a regional ecological economic plan for the Sacred Headwaters that is grounded in the principles of ecological stewardship and community well-being
- Developing conservation funding solutions that advance protections for the living forests and halt expansion of large-scale extractive industries
This Initiative offers an exceptional opportunity to create and demonstrate a new ecologic-economic model to usher in the post-carbon era – one that both safeguards the vital heart of our Earth’s biosphere and enhances human wellbeing.
PROTECTING THE CLIMATE
The Amazon Sacred Headwaters Initiative seeks to forge a new, post-carbon model for the region, off-limits to industrial-scale resource extraction and where fossil fuels are left in the ground.
The Initiative offers a multi-faceted strategy on climate change through working to:
- Protect indigenous territories in the region that encompasses a continuous mosaic of 86 million acres (30 million hectares) of rainforest and contains some 3.8 billion metric tons of carbon (on average 66 metric tons of carbon/acre of forest).
- Advance indigenous forest stewardship of these lands as the most effective strategy to protect the rainforest and avoid significant emissions from unchecked deforestation.
- Forge a sustainable path that keeps undeveloped fossil fuel reserves in the ground, starting with the Sacred Headwaters. This would result in the avoidance of some 1.9 billion metric tons of C02 emissions.
We invite cooperation from the international community to fund and incentivize a just transition to a post-carbon economy, starting in the Sacred Headwaters of the Amazon.
We invite cooperation from the international community to fund and incentivize a just transition to a post-carbon REGENERATIVE economy, starting in the Sacred Headwaters of the Amazon.
Please visit Cuencasagradas.org, this initiative’s regional website for latest updates about the initiative (with English translation automatically generated by google).
Acres of rainforest to be protected
Metric tons of CO2 emissions to be avoided
MAKE YOUR CONTRIBUTION
Your support will help protect this ecologically significant ecosystem and the legal rights of its indigenous stewards and help to ensure a livable climate for future generations.
Want to donate via digital currency?
You can now make your contribution to the Sacred Headwaters Initiative via digital cryptocurrency.
Pachamama Alliance is the fiscal sponsor of the Amazon Sacred Headwaters Initiative. It is a qualified charitable organization and can receive donations in digital currencies.
All donations are tax deductible per U.S. code using the Pachamama Alliance tax ID number 94-3249793.
If you have questions, comments or ideas to share about this Initiative, or you just want us to keep you informed of progress, please fill out the form below.